Tuesday, March 20, 2012

An Easter Table Topper - Part 4

Are you ready to add the central flower-shaped motif to your Easter Table Topper? 

The flower will have Inner and Outer Petals and we will applique a big bunny in its center!  You'll need about 1/2 a yard of fabric each for the for the Inner and Outer Petals and a 6'' square of white fabric for the Bunny.

First, print out this Outer Flower Template 4 times and tape it together on the dashed lines.  Trace the big flower shape onto paper-backed fusible web.  (I used Steam-A-Seam-2 by the Warm Company.  If you only have some narrow fusible web you might have to trace it in two halves and that is okay.)  Cut out the excess fusible from the center of the shape (there will be a lot and you can use it for another project!) and fuse the remainder onto the wrong side of your Outer Petal fabric. 



My Outer Petal Fabric was a lovely feather design in a teal color from Flora, by Lauren and Jessi Jung for Moda.  (It looks lighter on the back.)  Cut out flower shape along the drawn lines. 


Remove paper and center on your Table Topper, using the seam lines as guides.  Fuse.  Back with one layer of stabilizer (I used Sulky Tear-Easy) and buttonhole stitch around the entire flower shape to secure.  (I used Aurifil 12 wt. cotton thread in 1148 teal.)  DO NOT tear off the stabilizer!


One note about applique stitch.  I like to use a buttonhole-style applique stitch with a 12, 24, or 30 weight contrasting thread in many of my applique projects.  (I use a 50 wt. cotton in the bobbin.)  My favorite is stitch #1329 on my Bernina.  I loosen the top thread tension considerably. 


I also really like the small (#20) open-toe foot for applique as I feel it gives me more control over the fabric than the traditional wider open-toe foot.  (I did, however, use the wider foot for the decorative stitches on the eggs to take advantage of the full 9mm stitch width.)


You have two options for the Inner Flower shape.  If you have an embroidery machine I have designed a hopping bunny embroidery pattern to stitch on each petal of the flower!  To do this, you will actually be stitching out more Dresden Plate blades using your embroidery machine, cutting them out, and assembling them as you did the egg pieces.  Eventually this design will make its way to the Bernina site, but in the meantime, feel free to post a message (not anonymously) with the type of file you need at the end of this post and I will email you an .EXP or other type of file.

To make the embroidered Inner Petals stitch out the bunny plates 8 times on your Inner Petal Fabric.  I used a pretty small scale light aqua dot print from Ruby by Bonnie and Camille for Moda.  Start at 1 end of the 1/2 yard cut and work your way down, rehooping for each plate.  This allows you to get the motifs pretty close together.  You can cut off embroidery pieces as you work your way down the fabric.  I used two layers of Sulky Tear-Easy and an array of threads I had on hand: Sulky 40 wt. rayon in 1001 white for the bunny and 1332 green for the grass, Madeira 1965 orange and 1683 yellow for two of the flowers, and Brother 079 Polyester for the third. 


Once you are done clip the threads and cut out your plates along the stitched lines. 



Sew together plates using a 1/4'' seam allowance, back stitching on both ends.  Press seams open.  Spray adhesive on the back and center on the Outer Flower Border shape.  (You can also pin or baste or use a fabric glue stick.) I originally designed this Inner Petal shape to be centered in the Outer Petal shape like this....


But once I was actually making the project I preferred the look that resulted when I offset the placement of the Inner and Outer Petals.


What do you all think?

Use a buttonhole stitch around the entire Inner Petal shape to secure.  (I used Aurifil 12 wt. cotton thread in 1114 green.)  Tear off stablizer and cut excess fabric from behind the Inner Petals, being careful not to clip the Inner Petals themselves!

If you don't have an embroidery machine you can still make the table topper! Use this template to print out the Inner Petal Shape.  Tape the shapes together along the dotted lines and trace onto paper-backed fusible web.  Cut out the excess fusible from the center of the shape and fuse the remainder onto the wrong side of your Inner petal fabric. Cut out. Remove paper and center on your table topper.  Fuse. Back with stabilizer and buttonhole stitch around flower to secure. 



Tear off stablizer and cut excess fabric from behind the Inner Petals, being careful not to clip the Inner Petals themselves.


Now it is time to add your bunny!  Trace this template onto paper-backed fusible web. If your are sewing the non-embroidered version you might want to enlarge the printout to 120%.  Cut out the excess fusible from the center of the shape and fuse the bunny shape onto the wrong side of your outer white bunny fabric. Cut out. Remove paper and center on your Table Topper.  Fuse. Back with stabilizer and buttonhole stitch around the entire Bunny to secure.  (Again, I used Aurifil 12 wt. cotton thread - this time in 2024 white.)  Tear off stablizer and cut excess fabric from behind the Bunny, being careful not to cut him!.




That is it!  If you just can't wait to get a start on finishing this topper the next step will be layering it on top of backing fabric and batting and quilting as desired.

Happy sewing!
Amanda

P.S.  For those of you who might have missed the first installments for this project, Part 1 can be found here, Part 2 can be found here, and Part 3 can be found here...






45 Comments:

At March 21, 2012 at 6:53 AM , Blogger LeAnne said...

What a cute topper. Could I have the designs please in VP3 format. I should have just enough time to get this done by Easter.

 
At March 21, 2012 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Snoodles said...

So beautiful! I love how you completed this, and the offset flower is the perfect arrangement. :) You can see on my blog that I'm a little ways behind you! LOL
I don't have an embroidery machine, so I'll come up with something else to go on those petals....hmmm, the gears are turning.

 
At March 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Helen L said...

Beautiful table topper Amanda!!

 
At March 21, 2012 at 7:57 PM , Blogger VickiT said...

Your table topper is awesome Amanda. I eally love the eggs and you are SO correct about all the neglected fancy stitches on our machines. I do not use them near as often as I should.

I would love your design. Thank you for the generous offer. If you can, I use the .vip format altough I can convert almost all others except .art. My first choice is .vip, then .pes or .jef.

Whew. That's alot of typing with only one hand. lol (had hand surgery so I'm without one habd for a little bit)
Anyway, thank you again for the awesome table topper and design offer.

 
At March 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM , Blogger Marianne said...

Super, super gorgeous, Amanda!! I love every piece of this beautiful topper so far - and just know I'll love the rest. ;-) I also appreciate your offer of your hopping bunny embroidery. If you could send me a .pes of it, I would be ecstatic. I can't wait to my topper on the table for Easter!!!

 
At March 22, 2012 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Amanda Murphy said...

Marianne, please leave me your email so I can send you the file!
Amanda

 
At March 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM , Blogger In stitches and seams said...

Hi Amanda
thanks for such a cute topper.
I have been working on two ... just because I guess.
I have a brother machine and I think it is a PES format that I would use to stitch out the bunnies.
Thanks again this will be nice on the table for Easter
in stitches
Annette
institchesandseams@hotmail.ca

 
At March 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM , Blogger Victoria Mische said...

Hi Amanda, this is my first time to visit your blog and this cute topper caught my attention. Your project is soooo beautiful and I wanna thank you for putting those instructions on your post. n__n

Universal Chair Covers

 
At March 26, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Carrie P. said...

It is beautiful! Amanda!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM , Blogger byRaquel said...

Very cool.

 
At March 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is just awesome and so different I love it.....

 
At April 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM , Blogger Alma said...

This is a most beautiful table topper and it looks even more beautiful in person. I need to know the template size for the inner flower dresden plate or even better just send me the template for the inner dresden plates plus I need the cute hoping bunny. Please send me an art file. Thank you again for all you share with us. almabays@hotmail.com

 
At April 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM , Blogger kathyalden said...

I absolutly love this. I need Art for the embroidery.
Kathy Alden
kathyalden07@gmail.com

 
At April 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stunning! your directions are very clear and easy to follow - thanks for sharing - Can you please send me art format for the embroidery? Thanks again!!

 
At April 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM , Blogger Lou said...

Absolutely stunning!!!!
Will definetly make for next year since I just found it today!
I woul dlove the design in ART.
Thank you So much!!!!

 
At April 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM , Blogger sewlost said...

I am in love with this table topper. It may not be on my table this year but surely next. I would like the bunnies in Pes format if possible. Beautiful !

 
At April 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

lovely topper would like to receive embroidery design in art 4 format. Thank you

 
At April 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Karen's Creations said...

This is a beautiful topper. I'd love to receive the embroidery design in Art format (Bernina 830LE).
coms5132@gmail.com

Karen

 
At April 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Gale said...

What a beautiful table topper! I would also love the embroidery design in Art format for Bernina 830. snoopiedog73@aol.com Thanks. Gale

 
At April 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Kathleen said...

Love it and will make it for next Easter. Would love to have the embroidery design, please!

 
At April 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Amanda,
I did not receive the embroidery file please try again,
Thank you and sorry for the inconvience.
Barbara
quiltingb1@gmail.com

 
At April 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Lou said...

Sorry thought you would get the email addy:) Technology is So much fun sometime:) hahaah!!!
Lou = lecarter@hot.rr.com
Thank you SO much!!!!!!

 
At April 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Amanda,
I forgot to tell what type of machine I have it is a bernina 200 Art4 files.
Thank you again,
Barbara

 
At April 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Amanda Murphy said...

Kathleen, leave me your email address. Thanks!
Amanda

 
At April 10, 2012 at 5:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, I just found your lovely Easter topper and it is beautiful! Since I missed it for this year, what a lovely gift this would make for my quilting buddy for her Christmas gift. Thanks for sharing this pattern. I would appreciate getting the bunny in ART format. my email is mcclaina@aol.com

 
At April 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM , Blogger grammaterry6 said...

Hi Amanda, I am also loving your Easter topper and plan for it to be the focal point for next year's Easter. I would love having your funny in the EXP format. I thank you so very much for offering to send everyone one and for your great design! My email is stmoffitt@sbcglobal.net. Teresa

 
At April 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM , Anonymous sherrystrawberry said...

It's gorgeous, I would appreciate he Bernina format, thank you Sherrystrawberry

 
At April 12, 2012 at 7:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this pattern. I would like very much to receive the bunny emb. design in pes format. I have a BabyLock. Thank you. walnutgrovefarm3902@yahoo.com

 
At April 14, 2012 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This Easter topper is awesome. Please send me the patter in Art 4 format. Thank you so much!
reneeriedesel@gmail.com

 
At April 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous Ruby said...

I just found your blog site and love the easter table topper. Would you please send me the design in exp format. I have a 630E machine and use artlink to send to my machine.

Thanks
Ruby
gambypoppy@yahoo.com

 
At April 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. Your Easter table topper is darling!! I can't wait to start one. Please send the design in exp format... for 640E. Thank you!!
Linda
ljsch@embarqmail.com

 
At April 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM , Anonymous Nancy said...

I just found this also. I would love your bunny embroidery pattern in either art or exp. I love this. Your directions are wonderful.
Nancy
nholtzen@live.com

 
At April 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the table topper - want to make it for my grandkids! Please send me the design in .exp or .art format. Thanks
mrsjras@yahoo.com

 
At April 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely table topper! I do a lot of wool applique, but I would attempt this because of how beautiful it is! I would love to get the embroidery of the jumping rabbit. I have a bernina, so ART format would be great. Thanks in advance.
helraymc@bellsouth.net

 
At April 30, 2012 at 11:43 PM , Anonymous Vickie said...

I love your Easter Bunny table topper. I will have to make it for Easter next year. Could you please send me the embroidery file for the little bunnies. My email address is vcanham@aol.com. I have a Bernina, so I believe that is an .art file.
Thank you so very much!

 
At May 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM , Blogger Bernadette said...

Hi Amanda, I've probably done something wrong because I see my post not appear.
I am also loving your Easter topper. I'd love to receive the embroidery design in Art format for my Bernina 830. Thank You.
Bernadette.dc@gmail.com

 
At June 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM , Anonymous DebbieT said...

Amanda, I love your finished piece and would like to try one on my own. I do need the hopping bunny embroidery in hus format if possible to ddtmax@sbcglobal.net. Thank you so much! DebbieT

 
At June 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM , Blogger lhasa lady said...

wonderful, can you send me the design.thankyou

 
At July 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM , Anonymous Marcia said...

Hi my name is Marcia. Could you please email me the embroidery design for the rabbit. Email address is sewingmomm@sbcglobal.net. I would like th have the format in VP3,I guess my next choice would be PES but I can convert just about any format with my software.

Thanks

 
At February 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM , Blogger doodlescooter said...

Hi.. Thanks for offering the adorable design! Could you please send me a copy of the hopping bunny in .ART format. ? Thanks again!

 
At February 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM , Blogger doodlescooter said...

I forgot to give my email...also I thought maybe the design on Bernina site, but couldn't find it...if youcanplease send design to t.hoke@yahoo.com

 
At July 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM , Blogger JKW said...

Just found your website and blog - lovely, creative, and innovative!! (Found a link on We All Sew site)

Want to make this Easter table topper but will probably use it all spring next year :)

If possible could you send me the file for the bunny hopping over the flowers? It is precious! I have a Pfaff embroidery machine in lay a way and hope to bring it home soon :)
jkwnorth@msn.com

Thanks!!!

 
At August 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM , Blogger clabed said...

Please send me the jumping rabbit design in art for my bernina 830 and in hus for my pfaff.
clabedz@aol.com

Love the table topper

 
At November 17, 2013 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Janette said...

Amanda - what an adorable table topper. Would you please send me the bunny design in ART format? jlueh58@gmail.com
Janette

 
At August 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM , Blogger debkelley said...

Love the table topper! Is it too late to request the embroidery file? Thanks! deb.kelley@verizon.net I can use ART or EXP

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

1 2 3 Amanda Murphy Design: An Easter Table Topper - Part 4 4 12 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 25 26 27

An Easter Table Topper - Part 4

28
Are you ready to add the central flower-shaped motif to your Easter Table Topper? 

The flower will have Inner and Outer Petals and we will applique a big bunny in its center!  You'll need about 1/2 a yard of fabric each for the for the Inner and Outer Petals and a 6'' square of white fabric for the Bunny.

First, print out this Outer Flower Template 4 times and tape it together on the dashed lines.  Trace the big flower shape onto paper-backed fusible web.  (I used Steam-A-Seam-2 by the Warm Company.  If you only have some narrow fusible web you might have to trace it in two halves and that is okay.)  Cut out the excess fusible from the center of the shape (there will be a lot and you can use it for another project!) and fuse the remainder onto the wrong side of your Outer Petal fabric. 



My Outer Petal Fabric was a lovely feather design in a teal color from Flora, by Lauren and Jessi Jung for Moda.  (It looks lighter on the back.)  Cut out flower shape along the drawn lines. 


Remove paper and center on your Table Topper, using the seam lines as guides.  Fuse.  Back with one layer of stabilizer (I used Sulky Tear-Easy) and buttonhole stitch around the entire flower shape to secure.  (I used Aurifil 12 wt. cotton thread in 1148 teal.)  DO NOT tear off the stabilizer!


One note about applique stitch.  I like to use a buttonhole-style applique stitch with a 12, 24, or 30 weight contrasting thread in many of my applique projects.  (I use a 50 wt. cotton in the bobbin.)  My favorite is stitch #1329 on my Bernina.  I loosen the top thread tension considerably. 


I also really like the small (#20) open-toe foot for applique as I feel it gives me more control over the fabric than the traditional wider open-toe foot.  (I did, however, use the wider foot for the decorative stitches on the eggs to take advantage of the full 9mm stitch width.)


You have two options for the Inner Flower shape.  If you have an embroidery machine I have designed a hopping bunny embroidery pattern to stitch on each petal of the flower!  To do this, you will actually be stitching out more Dresden Plate blades using your embroidery machine, cutting them out, and assembling them as you did the egg pieces.  Eventually this design will make its way to the Bernina site, but in the meantime, feel free to post a message (not anonymously) with the type of file you need at the end of this post and I will email you an .EXP or other type of file.

To make the embroidered Inner Petals stitch out the bunny plates 8 times on your Inner Petal Fabric.  I used a pretty small scale light aqua dot print from Ruby by Bonnie and Camille for Moda.  Start at 1 end of the 1/2 yard cut and work your way down, rehooping for each plate.  This allows you to get the motifs pretty close together.  You can cut off embroidery pieces as you work your way down the fabric.  I used two layers of Sulky Tear-Easy and an array of threads I had on hand: Sulky 40 wt. rayon in 1001 white for the bunny and 1332 green for the grass, Madeira 1965 orange and 1683 yellow for two of the flowers, and Brother 079 Polyester for the third. 


Once you are done clip the threads and cut out your plates along the stitched lines. 



Sew together plates using a 1/4'' seam allowance, back stitching on both ends.  Press seams open.  Spray adhesive on the back and center on the Outer Flower Border shape.  (You can also pin or baste or use a fabric glue stick.) I originally designed this Inner Petal shape to be centered in the Outer Petal shape like this....


But once I was actually making the project I preferred the look that resulted when I offset the placement of the Inner and Outer Petals.


What do you all think?

Use a buttonhole stitch around the entire Inner Petal shape to secure.  (I used Aurifil 12 wt. cotton thread in 1114 green.)  Tear off stablizer and cut excess fabric from behind the Inner Petals, being careful not to clip the Inner Petals themselves!

If you don't have an embroidery machine you can still make the table topper! Use this template to print out the Inner Petal Shape.  Tape the shapes together along the dotted lines and trace onto paper-backed fusible web.  Cut out the excess fusible from the center of the shape and fuse the remainder onto the wrong side of your Inner petal fabric. Cut out. Remove paper and center on your table topper.  Fuse. Back with stabilizer and buttonhole stitch around flower to secure. 



Tear off stablizer and cut excess fabric from behind the Inner Petals, being careful not to clip the Inner Petals themselves.


Now it is time to add your bunny!  Trace this template onto paper-backed fusible web. If your are sewing the non-embroidered version you might want to enlarge the printout to 120%.  Cut out the excess fusible from the center of the shape and fuse the bunny shape onto the wrong side of your outer white bunny fabric. Cut out. Remove paper and center on your Table Topper.  Fuse. Back with stabilizer and buttonhole stitch around the entire Bunny to secure.  (Again, I used Aurifil 12 wt. cotton thread - this time in 2024 white.)  Tear off stablizer and cut excess fabric from behind the Bunny, being careful not to cut him!.




That is it!  If you just can't wait to get a start on finishing this topper the next step will be layering it on top of backing fabric and batting and quilting as desired.

Happy sewing!
Amanda

P.S.  For those of you who might have missed the first installments for this project, Part 1 can be found here, Part 2 can be found here, and Part 3 can be found here...






29 30 31 32